Dans le cadre des activités de Start-up Grind Cotonou qui est creuset d’échanges et de partage entre entrepreneurs locaux nous acculerions les invité(e) à prendre part à notre premier évènement à travers la rencontre intitulée « lien d’amitié pour entrepreneurs afin de s’entraider ». Cette rencontre se tiendra le jeudi 27 décembre 2018 à l’Ecole Primaire Publique (EPP) Fifadji groupe A, B, C (Cotonou).
Le programme est comme suite:
De 14h 30 min à 15h Arrivée et mise place des participants/entrepreneurs
De 15h à 15h 30 min Présentation de Start-up Grind et questions réponses
De 15h 30 min à 16 h 15 min Partage d’expériences de deux entrepreneurs avec ses pairs
De 16h 15 min à 17h Echanges entre entrepreneurs
De 17h à 17h 30 min Collation
Hughes Balley started his entrepreneurship as a computer hardware repairer without any training hence learning by doing. Between 2010 and 2012 he faced difficulties due to stiff competition from experts and then changed and started poultry farming.Read More
In 2013 he turned to poultry farming after unsuccessfully started as a computer hardware engineer.
He has been raring the following:
a) Layers which are sold after 18 months;.
b) High-bred fowls which are sold after 6 or 7 weeks;
c) Traditional fowls.
- He also created a barbeque spot where he sells directly to customers
- He also sells to restaurants
- He makes deliveries in homes
Questions why he changed?
- He didn’t really have the expertise to compete
- He wanted to start something new and then grow gradually
Problems he has facing:
- Lack of feed as there are few producers of the feed hence leading to high competition;
- Neighboring Nigeria exports very cheap ovules eggs;
- Difficult access to credits; it takes 17 weeks to access a micro finance credit which requires monthly payments whereas the fowls have to be fed on daily basis.
- Eggs can only last for one year because of poor storage capacity;
- Customers want fixed prices whereas production fluctuates ;
- There are no subventions for the feed to cheap as maize prices are steadily rising whereas fowls eat the same quantity of feed.
Production is divided into zones and he is coordinating one zone.
1. Why does he not produce fowls which consume less feed?
Response. The problem with feeding is that maize prices continue to increase even if the fowls are to be eating less.
2. Why not use the eggs for other products?
Response: Starting a new line of producing something with eggs require heavier capital. Since eggs last for a specific period and the temperature for the storage will add the length of the durability, he may consider acquiring a cooling system for the preservation of the eggs. With shortage of energy in the country, he would consider the use of renewable energy for the eggs preservation system.
- He should accept strategies from FSA
- Integrate solutions from Universities
- Belong to a network to solve the issues
- Make efforts to maintain quality
- Think about issues linked to the environment and external influences
He will be developing a project based on the feedback