- About Us
This event showcases how Shakes Motsilili came to be a founding shareholder of Africa New Energies (ANE). The combination of excellent exploration results, the crowdfunding and community involvement has attracted two multi-billion rand bids for ANE. The company aims to achieve a $1 billion valuation on a planned IPO within the next two years.
There is 1 hour of networking, followed by Q&A with Shakes.
Finger snacks and drinks are provided.
Please access the venue underneath the sign that says "440 Hilda Str" next to the Standard Bank Branch at Hatfield Plaza (On the outside of the plaza).
Please purchase any of the tickets available, that suits your situation (There are early bird as well as 2-for-1 tickets available).
Shakes Motsilili is a founding shareholder of Africa New Energies (ANE), which he co-founded with his former UCT flatmate, Stephen Larkin. Some highlights: · Heading up of Actuarial and Technical Support Services at Momentum Wealth · Left corporate life in 2011 to pursue entrepreneurship · Setting up of the first Black-owned Venture Capital Company (VCC) · Involved in the lobbying of Section 12JRead More
Shakes Motsilili was born in the rural town of Mount Frere in the former Transkei in 1977. He is now based in Pretoria where he is the South African manager for ANE’s pioneering crowdfunding campaign where the company has raised over R100 million from hundreds investors in 16 countries. He is also setting up the first Black-owned Venture Capital Company (VCC) that will enable South Africans to invest in these innovation companies and write off up to 41% of their investment against personal tax.
Some of the highlights of his personal and business journey so far:
· Came in the top ten of the Science Olympiad in 1994
· First Black person to be selected to attend the National Science Week and to represent South Africa at the London International Science Forum
· Achieved an A aggregate in his Matric
· Dean’s merit list for chemistry while studying Medicine
· One of the first two Black people ever to be allowed to follow the accelerated Actuarial Science qualification route
· Head of Actuarial and Technical Support Services at Momentum Wealth
· His team was voted the winner of the inaugural Annual Innovation Challenge at Momentum Life
· Championed Afrikaans members of his team to travel to Soweto for the first time, helping them to cross the cultural divide
· Left corporate life in 2011 to pursue entrepreneurship
· Founding shareholder of Africa New Energies, which he co-founded with his former UCT flatmate, Stephen Larkin
Africa New Energies has a simple vision – to use the unique mathematical abilities of an eclectic group of scientists to find natural gas to give the 600 million Africans who currently lack electricity – light at night for the first time. Namibia was the first government to award ANE acreage, after the company was selected as the first winner of the UN-affiliated African Innovation Foundation prize